Welcome to the ECOS Seven Preserve Challenge
Let’s get outside! This challenge is for everyone – experienced hikers, newbies, grownups & kids. We want people to be able to complete the challenge on their own, or with their families and friends, or as part of a hiking group or Scouting troop. Take as long as you want or need to do it — whether that’s a few days, weeks, months, or even years.
What matters is that you get out there and enjoy nature, see the beauty of these local resources, learn something about their ecology and history.
- Bozen Kill Preserve, Bozenkill Rd., Altamont Owner: Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy
- Christman Sanctuary, Schoharie Turnpike, Delanson Owner: The Nature Conservancy
- Indian Kill Nature Preserve, Hetcheltown Rd., Glenville Owner: Schenectady County
- Lisha Kill Natural Area, Rosendale Rd., Niskayuna Owner: The Nature Conservancy
- Plotter Kill Preserve, Rt. 159, Rotterdam Owner: Schenectady County
- Sanders Preserve, Sanders Rd., Glenville Owner: Town of Glenville
- Schenectady County Forest Preserve, Lake Rd., Duanesburg Owner: Schenectady County
Six of the preserves are in Schenectady County, while one is in Albany County.
ECOS also sponsors its own Family Friendly Hikes in these preserves in the spring-summer. Check our website or Facebook page to find out more.
Remember: Any journey starts with that first step. So get started.
To earn your patch, you must:
- Hike the seven preserves listed in this brochure.
- Fill out the attached form (it is also available on our website), with your name, address, email and telephone number, the date you visited each preserve, and a sentence or two telling us about it.
- Mail to ECOS: The Environmental Clearinghouse, 2682 Aqueduct Rd., Niskayuna, N.Y. 12309. Allow 3-5 weeks to receive your patch