The following series of Natural Areas guides provides detailed descriptions of interesting places to walk and hike in the Capital Region.
Each guide includes: directions, trail maps, and information relevant to the area.
- Natural Areas of Saratoga County, 1st Ed., 1998.
- Natural Areas of Rensselaer County, 2nd Ed., 2002.
- Natural Areas of Albany County, 4th Ed., 2004.
- Natural Areas of Schenectady County, 6th Ed., 2005.
- Natural Areas of Schoharie County, 1st Ed., 2023
Along the Bike Hike Trail guides provide descriptions of the flora and fauna, interesting places, and local history along the bikeways.
Each guide offers a list of organizations and contacts to make your trip more enjoyable whether you are hiking or cycling.
- Along the Bike Hike Trail, Schenectady County, 3rd Ed., 2013.
- Along the Bike Hike Trail, Montgomery County, 1st Ed., 2004.
- Along the Bike Hike Trail, Albany County, 1st Ed., 2013.
Ski & Snowshoe Tips (2011). A seven county guide to cross country ski areas.
Wildflowers Along the Way (1989). This beautifully illustrated book offers pen and ink drawings and detailed descriptions of selected local wildflowers.
A Field Guide to the Karner Blue Butterfly (2007). This guide offers pen and ink illustrations and photos of plants and animals associated with the life and habitat of the Karner Blue Butterfly.
Trees and Shrubs of the Capital Region (2014). A collection of essays on local trees and shrubs by naturalist Ed Miller.
Landscaping with Native Trees (free PDF download)
You can also download a PDF copy of our publications brochure.
Purchase ECOS Publications conveniently and securely with our Paypal shopping cart.
When completing your order, please select the economy shipping of $3.00 to cover costs. You may select up to 5 items for the $3.00 fee. The free shipping is only for online events that are not shipped. Please contact ECOS if ordering more than 5 items.