- This event has passed.
Community Choice Aggregation – Free Public Information Forum
February 12 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Please note: This event was originally scheduled for January 29. Due to inclement weather the event was moved to February 12th.
Presentations will be made by The Capital District Regional Planning Commission, NYSERDA and the Capital Region CCA Steering Committee. Refreshments will be served.
RSVP with EventBrite:
Sponsored by SCEAC (Schenectady County Environmental Advisory Council), Sierra Club Hudson-Mohawk Group, Schenectady’s First Reformed Church Creation Care Committee, Green Sanctuary Team-Schenectady Unitarian Universalist Society, Messiah Lutheran Church, Solarize Albany County, PAUSE/350.org, Save the Pine Bush and the Green Education & Legal Fund
Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) is a way that municipalities can create a “buyer’s club” for purchasing residential electricity. CCA can help residents save on the cost of electricity as well as significantly reduce municipal greenhouse gas emissions. Sustainable Westchester has had a very successful pilot CCA. Now the mid-Hudson Valley, Southern Tier and Rochester municipalities are starting their own Community Choice programs.
The CCA program allows us to contract at a discount with generators of renewable energy to supply residents’ and small businesses’ power – giving us control over where our energy comes from but also supporting local sources of clean energy and jobs. This way, we can take advantage of the fact that renewable energy costs are dropping, while also putting less carbon into the atmosphere.
- CCA is like joining a “buyers’ club” for the discount purchase of electricity
- CCA can help us save money on electric bills
- CCA can help us use more renewable energy and put less carbon in the atmosphere
- CCA allows us to purchase more electricity locally, potentially boosting our local renewable energy economy and jobs
- passing a resolution doesn’t commit the City to make a purchase, just to get the bids and see what discount electricity prices we can get
- any resident/business can opt out at any time
- CCA protects residents from predatory electricity supply companies (ESCOs)